Selected Projects

National Audubon Society Headquarters | New York, New York

1994 Albert S. Bard Award - The City Club of New York
1994 Award For Energy Excellence - Office of Governor Mario Cuomo
1994 Award For Enhancing New York City’s Quality of Life - Gotham Interior Design Award
1994 Award For Outstanding Facade Conservation/Restoration -
Victorian Society In America

The rebirth of the handsome 1890 George B. Post, Romanesque structure as Headquarters for the National Audubon Society in New York City, exemplifies a sustainable approach to the reuse of such turn-of-the century buildings. In the internationally renowned renovation of this building, completed in 1993, the work of Croxton Collaborative Architects yielded the highest integrated levels yet achieved for environmental/ sustainable performance. Audubon House, with some 98,000 gross SF. required a complete gut and rehabilitation of the interior, along with preservation of key facade elements and conservation of the basic structure. It represents a breakthrough in the reuse of older buildings for new occupancies and established a leadership exemplar that engages the ‘whole’ building, including a massive thermal shell upgrade and completely new mechanical and lighting systems within the limited, rigidly imposed budget of a not-for-profit organization. As a result, the building used 64% less energy than code compliance required and annual savings exceeded $100,000.00 per year. This building kicked off the ‘green’ movement in architecture.